Monday, November 30, 2009

Day 86: The Paris of India

Sunday, November 29

So I’m not sure why Jaipur is referred to as the Paris of India, or even if it is. Sometimes I think that people tell me things because I’m so gullible. Either way, I’m so glad we went. I think this was my favorite day in India. Even if it was a four hour drive there and five back!

My day started at 6am with a call from my hubby! Always a great way to start the day! I miss him so much and can’t wait for him to be here so I can get hugs and show him this amazing country. After a short chat, it was off for a quick shower and the race downstairs for breakfast. We were on the road to Jaipur a little before 8am!

Along the four hour drive, we saw monkeys, elephants, and lots and lots of camels. Delhi, where I “live” and work is very flat. All of the sudden, about half way to Jaipur, out of nowhere, appears a mountain. Well, at least very, very large pile of dirt. The closer we got to our final destination, both the size and number increased. As it turns out, Jaipur is in the mountains!

We visited Amber Fort first where we were able to take some very neat pictures of the city below. We saw the world’s largest cannon on wheels. And, we got to see an Indian puppet show! Super neat! I have so many pictures I look forward to when I get back to the States!

Next it was off to my personal favorite, Tiger Palace. This was the palace for the seven queens and two concubines, for a total of nine wives of the king, all living in the same house! The palace it’s self was spectacular with hand painted walls that have lasted over 300 years and separate dwellings for each of the nine wives. The stories that the guide shared with us… even better. There is a special enclosed walkway that was just for the king. The walkway allowed the king to travel between wives without causing unnecessary jealousy! HaHa! There is no way that would fly at my house! I’m the one and only type! (interjection by Devin- so she thinks! ;-)

We took a driven tour of the rest of the city, including a stop at a fabric manufacture to watch them hand print the beautiful fabrics! Oh and I tried on a sari! I didn’t buy it, it was a little out of my price range, but I am totally determined to find one now!! ;-) After a bite to eat at the mall, it was back in the car for the very long ride back to the hotel.

Today was truly an amazing day! Very worth the drive! The only thing that would make it better, Devin being here. But the good news, he’ll be here a month from today! ;-)

With love,
Eli
Countdown to Devin: 30 days…

1 comment:

  1. NOT FUNNY, DEVIN!

    Countdown to Devin...Cute! I love seeing historic places like this. It sounds like you had a great time =)

    ReplyDelete