Monday, November 23, 2009

Day 79: The Joy of Adventure

Sunday, November 22

I woke up this morning with no alarm at all at 7:38 am. I have seen 7 am many times since coming to India; however, it is usually on the other side of sleeping. While this was crazy early, it was wonderful to watch the sun move across the morning sky.

I also was able to go to breakfast and have fresh squeezed orange juice! I ate blueberry pancakes, which had lots, not just one like my muffin, of blueberries. I also had fresh pineapple and roasted potatoes. Oh and French press coffee of course!

After a very relaxing morning, I meet up with my friend Joy from Jackson. She was actually the one that encouraged me to apply for the company that has now given me this amazing Indian experience. Linda, the new lady, and two other folks from work, joined us for a trip all over Delhi. So technically, we only went to one temple, a grocery store, and rode the Metro, but we managed to go all over the city!

After about an hour and half in the van, we arrived at a huge temple complex that had just been completed last year. I have no idea was god it was for, but it was all hand carved over a seven year time frame. They wouldn’t let us take our cameras with us, so all I have are pictures from afar. However, Joy and Linda had group photos taken so maybe I can get in out that action and posted on Facebook. We also had popcorn at the temple! Go figure! It was really good though! And the temple was beautiful, and incredibly detailed.

Afterwards, it was a trip on the Delhi Metro. Imagine the most packed train you can imagine. I mean every sit taken, every hand rail in use, every square inch has a foot on it. Got a good mental image of a human sardine can? Now add about 250 more people per car and that was my Indian subway experience! It really was quit hysterical! Every time the train stopped I had about 800 people leaning on me! We had the pleasure of being in the very back of our car! But I’m glad we did it. It really was something I will never forget!

After my adventure with Joy, it was off to dinner at the Indian restaurant. I had some amazing Murgh Makhni (a delicious chicken dish), a taste of Gosht Beliram (a mutton dish), rice, and of course Naan! So yummie! I might have a blister on my tongue from all the chilies, but oh man! It is so good!

Now I’m sitting in my room struggling to stay awake till my “normal” bed time so I can sleep enough to not be tired tomorrow night at work. Also, tomorrow I’m determined to get up and go to the gym. There are FREE personal trainers down there and I need to take advantage! I’ll let you know how it goes! ;-)

Eli
Countdown to Mumbai: 45 days…

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear about the free trainers and the gym. Great thing to do. Love you...

    ReplyDelete