Saturday, November 14, 2009

Day 68: Tribute…

Wednesday, November 11

I have celebrated 26 Veteran’s Days in my life, but I think this one is the most special of all. Don’t get me wrong, all the parades and festivities that Col. Beck had us participating in all through high school were fun. And I have always been patriotic and thankful for those that have served. But I am starting to understand exactly what it means to be a native to “The Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave.”

As I sit safely in my lush hotel room, outside the hotel gate there is poverty and crime. There are security guards at every public entrance and mayhem on the streets. While the people here are by no means in the same shape as some of the Communist countries, they don’t seem to have the same freedoms and rights that I have in America. As I’ve said in previous blogs, you really don’t know what you have until it’s on the other side of the world!

I’m not naïve enough to think that the freedoms I have at home are there because of chance or happenstance. It’s because for over 200 years, men and women in the Armed Forces have made the sacrifices necessary to ensure our continued safety and freedom. For that, I dedicate tonight’s blog to each of you. Thank you for serving, thank you for protecting, thank you for your sacrifice!

Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment