Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 6: Crocs Are Busines Attire, Right?

So today was my first day at the new office. Everything with my transfer seems to be going well, and for the most part, I can do my job without a hitch. My supervisor seems vary nice and my coworkers are quite helpful. I will still be working Medicaid so, I have a good handle on what needs to be done.

The biggest difference is not the actual work, its the attire I'm expected to wear while working. In Jackson, it was VERY casual. I mean jeans everyday and I'm not 100% sure that some people weren't wearing their pj's. Here in Lenexa, its business attire! Luckily, this isn't anything new for me. When I worked in Nashville, it was the same type thing. So this morning I get dressed in one of my favorite outfits, my khaki dress pants, brown dress shirt and super cute, yet not incredible comfortable, brown flats.

I didn't pack my lunch today since until the big move this weekend, I live approximately 5 minutes away. So, when I went on lunch, I came home to grab a bite and take the puppies for a quick walk. Well seeing as my flats are not exactly the best for dog walking, I traded them in for my bright red, NC State, flip-flop Crocs with ever intention of changing back into my dress shoes before heading back to the office. This was a great idea... in theory. However, what happened was more of the kind of thing that makes one think, "Why me, Lord, Why me?"

As it turns out, a 30 minute break really isn't enough time to run home for lunch, even if you only live 5 minutes away, so I was quite rushed, not wanting to be late on my first day. After taking the puppies out and scarfing down a bite of lunch, I raced back out the door to work. As I'm walking to my desk, I realize I NEVER CHANGED BACK INTO MY DRESS SHOES!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I spent the rest of the day trying to hide my feet and my big ole crocs from the view of any one else. Needless to say I'm sure I made a GREAT first impression. Oh well....

All that being said, today was a good day. Everything was rather crazy, and tomorrow isn't looking much better, seeing as the group I am working with is moving to a new building on Monday. I will say its kind of funny to watch as we each try to type, talk on the phone, and pack a box all at the same time. Tomorrow should be yet another adventure, but my end of the day assessment is that I like my new office!

Until tomorrow...
Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment