Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 20: A Different View

So today's blog is actually coming to you from a little different angle. Instead of the normal update about the days happenings, Devin is going to take a moment to give you some of his views and comments. Take it away, DK...

Well, it's been just over a month since the whirlwind started in Jackson. One day, I will take the time to explain exactly what happened to cause the change from TN to KS to be such a quick one, but for now lets just say the dust is settling.

Things are going well here in the great city of Kansas (ha). We're off and running planning our fall festival at church, looking into a computer check in system for the children's ministry, expanding our Sunday program to include a pre school ministry, and looking ahead to next year. I've spent some time getting to know some of the staff, and this is a really different dynamic than what I'm used to. I've been in places where people told me what to do, and places where people didn't pay attention to what I did, but as far as a paid position (Roberts, IL doesn't count cause I was a volunteer) I've never really had a whole lot of interest in what I wanted to do, and why I wanted to do it. The change is very refreshing.

Our Sr. Pastor, Don Lewis, is a great man. If I could use the word guru, I might. He's been there, done that, and is soft spoken but commands attention when he does speak. He reminds me in many ways of Pastor Maury Davis from Nashvhille in his intelligence and character, just without the broken finger and criminal background! Seriously, Pastor Don is great. I enjoy just getting to listen to him share his thoughts on a variety of subjects and topics.

Outside of church, we've been going banana's splitting time between church events and social activities, getting the place unpacked, and getting Elizabeth ready to go to India. She's only slightly excited (said with sarcasm). Actually, there are moments I wonder if she doesn't intend to defect to the country and leave me here! Thankfully, I have the puppies as insurance that she has to come back. She and I have been trying to figure out a successful schedule for taking care of the puppies, and so far the way its working out is like this:
Morning walk: Devin
After Breakfast Walk: Devin
After work Walk: Devin
After Dark Walk: Devin (she doesn't like the dark parking lot outside our front door)
Before Bed Walk: (Devin)

Now, I wasn't a straight A student in school, but something tells me I'm getting the short end of the stick here... Not that she doesn't ever take the dogs out, I'd be dishonest in saying that. But I'm getting a little more practice for the month she'll be gone and I'll be doing it all than I intended to get at this point.
Part of the reason is that I don't have to be at work until 9am, and she has to be at work by 7. Since I am a light sleeper, it really doesn't matter if she gets up early to take care of the dogs or waits, because I'll wake up either time. So its actually better just waiting until 6 (or some days we fight the snooze and is like 6:30, and Elizabeth thanks God she took her shower the night before!).
Sadly, I am not a morning person and coffee does no more for me than whiskey. (that means I don't drink it, so don't read any hidden meanings into that!). So, I have been dutifully getting up before the sun, then spending a few quality hours doing nothing trying to wake up enough to go to the office.
I know, life is rough, isn't it?

Well, I've updated you on the goings on, shared my suffering (you don't feel sorry for me at all, do you?) in having to get up early... and now its late and I must go to bed. Otherwise I'll hide the phone with the alarm on it and sleep until 7!

Until the next time My wife doesn't want to keep her year long blogging commitment...

Devin

2 comments:

  1. LOL, At least she didn't start out with...Take it away, HWDB...

    So yeah, I don't feel the least bit sorry for you, but it was definitely interesting to hear things from your perspective. I'm glad you're enjoying your new pastor and church!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Devin, we should have warned you...

    ReplyDelete