Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 5:I Love Grocery Stores

So today was much more productive than yesterday. Even if I didn't get to the majority of the items I set out to do today, I did not spend the majority of the day on one project. That being said, I have no Kansas driver license, no bathroom cabinets, and not much more unpacked than I did yesterday when I went to bed. I did, however, finish unpacking the kitchen, go by my new office, run by the church to work with Devin on Sunday's Superchurch service for the kids, go grocery shopping at three different stores, and fix our first home cooked meal since moving to Kansas.

I had ever intention of getting my new license today until I realized other than my TN license, I have no valid proof of id which is a problem seeing as you have to have at least two. My passport is with the US government getting my name changed for my trip to India (just the last name, not some cool alias). I could use my birth certificate, but than I need my marriage license, which is with my passport seeing as I am getting my married name added to that. In other words, this will have to wait a few more weeks till Uncle Sam mails them both back.

The bathroom cabinets didn't happen simple because after the drama of the kitchen cart yesterday, I needed a day of rest from carpentry. Tomorrow after work is looking promising though.

After lunch, I ran to the new office to find out how tomorrow is going to work. My new manager seems really cool and I think I'm going to enjoy working here at the KS billing center. I miss my friends in Jackson and I have to dress up everyday, but other than that, I seems like it will be a good fit. I'm sure that will be the topic of tomorrow's blog seeing as tomorrow is my first day. We shall see...

Helping Devin with stuff for the kids was fun as always. I will be leading the games and helping with the memory verse. "Behold I am coming quickly." Rev. 22:7 It should be lots of fun! I'm working on a picture-gram to teach the memory verse, but I'm totally up for suggestions for games!

Then, the fun began.... GROCERY SHOPPING!! :-D
There is truly no sarcasm here, I love to go to the grocery store. Thanks to the wonderful other pastor wives, I already had all the essentials and just need the fillers. First I went to Aldi's. For those of you who are not familiar with this great store, they only have one brand of everything so no comparing and choosing amongst whether you want the Jiffy or the Peter Pan, you have to deposit a quarter to get a cart, but you get it back when you return your cart to the front, and you have to bring bags and bag your own groceries. Now these sound like all kind of downs, but here is my perspective, it doesn't take anywhere near as long because there are only one brand of everything. I get a few extra steps, which equals exercise, taking the cart back, and I'm being "green" by using the canvas bags not to mention when its time to bring the groceries in, its actually a lot easier. And the best perk, because of all these cut corners, for the most part, its a lot cheaper than any other grocery store.

I came home and made Devin tacos, one of his favorites, and than it was off to Costco and another grocery experience. Last night at Melanie and Brian's we discovered Costco's roasted chicken, FANTASTIC, so I got one of those for tomorrow night, as well as restocked my freezer with all our favorites. On the way out I experienced the most delightful $1 treat, Churros!! YUM! They are this long stick thing covered in cinnamon sugar. Their taste reminds me of the beignet I had in the French Market my freshman year of college. All I needed was a big cup of coffee and it would have been pure bliss! I just need to make sure that every time I go to Costco's I have a buck so I can get one of these delights!!

The last grocery store of the day was a place called HyVee. Its like a Kroger or probably more like a Publix, but not quite as nice. Devin was with me for both the Costco and HyVee trips so we ended up with more than we actually need, but that's ok. Our pantry is now completely stocked, I got a new mini-cookbook, and I got to look through THREE grocery stores in one day. I think we will call this day.... productive and pleasant! ;-)

Thank you for reading. Sorry tonight's turned out so long, who knew one could write so much about groceries...

For now...
Eli

2 comments:

  1. Must be in our blood: Costco is my wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Cheerwine, aren't there any machines with Cheerwine in them??? Regarding the puppy meal of landscaping timbers, you might want to check with the vet to see if you need to give them anything to speed the elimination process.

    ReplyDelete