Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Day 106: The Thrill of the Bargain!

Saturday, December 19

My day started with a knock on the door from one of my Indian friends. After Nivedida rushed me through the dressing process, it was off to the mall for two of my favorite things, coffee and ice cream with my friend, George! There was some lunch and shopping in there too!

Today was George’s last day. George became kind of like a second dad for me while over here. He was born in Hungry, moved to Argentina, then Australia, and finally the States. He is a 55 year old tri-linguist that has great stories and even better jokes. He is also the last of the folks that were here when I got here. I have officially been here longer than anyone else, and the worse part, I’ve watched two leave that arrived after I did and will watch four more do the same before it’s my turn.

Don’t feel too sorry for me, I’m so excited that Devin will be here in a little over a week! I can’t wait to show him everything this amazing city has to offer. In the meantime, I’m being catered to every meal, my bed is made for me every day, and I have a driver that will take me wherever I want to go whenever I want to go! ;-) Oh and I get to work with incredible people every day!
And then there is the shopping! I went to Connaught Place, affectionately referred to as CP by the locals, with a friend from work, Sahill, and his friend, Summer, who works in the Indian fashion industry. We looked in ever shoe hut that CP had to offer looking for shoes big enough to fit my size ten feet. I found ONE pair of decent, acceptable to my new gay fashion friend, and the crazy guy tried to charge me TRIPLE what the shoes were worth. He wouldn’t bargain at all, and didn’t even call back to me when I walked out! Agh, it was like shopping at home!

I did have much better luck with some really pretty pillow covers for my couch though! The lady had small one that she was selling for Rs. 25, but the next size up, she wanted triple, and they weren’t that much bigger! Sahill started to bargain for me and I told him I had this. I offered Rs. 100 for two and walked away when she said no. She quickly said “ok, ok” in English, and then something in Hindi that Sahill wouldn’t translate for me. He laughed and told me that he was impressed and I was a better bargainer then he ever imagined. I decided to take it as a compliment!

After a cup of coffee and a few more stops, it was back to the hotel for a restful evening. I watched tv, read, and went to bed “early” too! All in all a great day!! Until tomorrow…

With Love,
Eli
Countdown to Devin: 11 days…

No comments:

Post a Comment