Thursday, January 28, 2010

The 'lost' Blogs: Day 131: A Whole Lotta Love…

Wednesday, January 13

As my time in India is quickly coming to a close, I thought I’d take a few minutes to talk about the top ten things I love about India. So here goes…

10) The food! While the food does not always settle quite like I would like it to, it almost always taste delicious. I love all the spices and flavor and the way nothing, not even the rice, is bland.

9) The job! I had no idea how much I love training other people until I came to India. I love talking someone through the process and getting them to think through the knowledge they have to come up with the correct answer. I feel like such a proud mama when the light bulb goes on and they finally understand something they’ve been struggling with.

8) The hotel! Ok I realize that I haven’t given the current hotel the most rave review, however, I will say things have gotten a whole lot better. And even at the worst, I still have had excellent customer service and have always been well taken care of.

7) Naan! Yes, I realize I already mentioned the food, but this yummie bread gets a category all to itself. Make it butter, garlic, or good ole plain, I don’t care, I love it all!

6) The traffic! What’s not to love? Even though it takes you an hour to get almost anywhere because of it, the adventure that it insures is always a blast! Not to mention, where other than in Indian traffic can you be offered some Jack Daniels from the three guys riding a single motorcycle.

5) Jaipur! I’m sure you all are sick of me ranting and raving about this single city, but I love it! Its rich history, beautiful architecture, and royal style just make it one of those places I can’t get enough of!

4) The fabrics! Everything is made out of bright, colorful patterns that make you happy to look at them. I love how it doesn’t matter that your sari is hot pink, your blouse red, your sweater orange, and your shoes Oscar green. Everywhere you turn, you can see all colors of the rainbow!

3) The culture! There are not many places in the world that you will find a stronger sense of family than here in India. I love the importance placed on honoring your father and mother and elders in general. It’s amazing how much people with sacrifice for the betterment of their family, even when it’s not what they would ideally do!

2) The shopping! Shopping has always been something I enjoy, but being the penny pincher that I am, I always struggle with the prices of things. Here in India, if I don’t like the price you state, I tell you so and offer you what I’m willing to pay. I love the back and forth of haggling that comes with shopping in India. Not to mention the prices that make anything in India at least half as much in the States, in many cases even more than that! And the number one thing I love about India…

1) The people, of course!! Seriously, I can’t believe how polite, kind, and loving they all are. I have been treated like part of the family since I arrived and as my time to head home quickly comes, I can’t even begin to think how I’m going to say goodbye.

Yes, this truly has been an amazing experience that I will remember and cherish as long as my memory holds out. Until tomorrow….

With Love,

Eli
Countdown to Home: 26 days…

No comments:

Post a Comment