Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 119: Experiencing India

Friday, January 1

It’s a brand new year! How exciting to be starting it off with my wife in a brand new country. As I write this, I realize it is actually just now becoming the new year in the good old USA, but this day has already been busy.

I had the honor of meeting Elizabeth’s favorite driver, Ashok, who gave me a grand tour of the city of New Delhi. I got to see the president’s house…which is about as big as the town I grew up in by itself! Seriously, this place isn’t like the White House. It’s more like Fort Knox with architectural charm. The building was amazing and made of stone. Near it was the Parliament building, which makes the Capital look something like a play house. I must give kudos to the people here, they know how to build on a grand scale.

Leaving the seat of power, we traveled to a monument called the India Gate. It’s their war memorial. To get to it, we first had to park and wade through a bunch of kids trying to sell us junk. There was also a real life snake charmer. I would have taken a picture, but he would have required payment for that…which I wasn’t willing to give. It would have only encouraged the ‘entrepreneurs’ to sell harder, knowing we had cash on hand.

My favorite part of the experience was crossing the street! With no real traffic laws (just suggestions) we couldn’t just wait for the light—people ignore that here if they don’t feel like stopping. So both going to the gate and coming back we dodged traffic. I wish I could say it was with speed and grace, but I was too afraid of becoming a hood ornament to have paid much attention to the way we looked!

After an early dinner it is now off to an early bedtime. We have to be up at 4am to head to the Taj!

With Love,

Devin, on behalf of Eli
Countdown to Devin leaving: 6 days…

No comments:

Post a Comment