Thursday, January 28, 2010

The 'lost' Blogs: Day 127: Oh my, WOW!

Saturday, January 9

So I’m totally on the hunt for a traditional outfit for Go Live on Monday for the new process I’m going to be working. I really wanted to find a sari, but was willing to take what I could get. Unfortunately, I didn’t even really have a chance today, even though this is what we were supposed to be shopping for today.

I meet up with all the other work folks that are here and several of the local friends we’ve made for a fun filled day of shopping. First, we drove all over Delhi to a friend’s cousins house to pick up some kurtas (Indian tops) for one of the other ladies. Then, after fighting traffic to the other side of Delhi, we meet up with the other car of folks and I witnessed one of the CRAZIEST things I have ever seen.

Now, remember, I have two holes in each ear and a hundred years ago I got my belly button pierced. But in all above cases it was with a needle or piercing gun and a lot of antiseptic was used. Oh and I was sitting/laying down.

So today, two of the ladies decided they wanted to get some piercings done. Keep in mind that nose piercing is more common than not in India and two holes in each ear is what most girls have before they learn to walk. Anyway, so we go to the shop where this kind of thing is done here and it’s just your normal ole jewelry store, India style. Interpret, crowded, tiny, and a shoved in a hallway! There are three guys behind the counter helping whoever shoves the hardest to the front.

So the lady I’m with makes it to the front and tells the guy she wants to get her nose and inner ear pierced. By inner ear, I mean that tiny piece of ear that kind of sticks out over the ear opening. The guy has her pick out the stud she wants for her nose, cuts the long stem with a pair of wire cutters, dips it in some kind of Vaseline looking stuff, AND SHOVES IT THROUGH HER NOSE!! No chair or nothing, he just leans over the counter and pops the stud in. Then, he takes another pair of pliers that look like the ones my dad once used to rewire things, and twist the stem inside her nose so it doesn’t fall out.

I am not grossed out easily, but this was more than I wanted to see. I knew I didn’t want to see how he got the hoop through her “inner” ear. I went down stairs and hung out with the rest of the group. Evidentially, the ear thing hurt worse, she threw up! Glad I stepped out!
Well, needless to say, I think I’ll come home with the same number of holes I left with! LOL!

With Love,

Eli
Countdown to Home: 30 days…

No comments:

Post a Comment