Thursday, January 28, 2010

The 'lost' Blogs: Day 129: My Day as an Indian Princess

Monday, January 11

Today was Go Live for the new process I will be working for my remaining time in India. Go Live had already happened for the process that I originally came for so this was my very first one to be involved with. As I said yesterday, I bought a traditional sari to wear today and spent my day dressed as a princess!

It all started with a call to the front desk of the hotel for help in getting my sari draped. Now, Indian women are able to do this themselves and do not require any safety pins or such to hold the dress in place. I, on the other hand, ended up having a total of three helpers and seven pins to turn me into a sari wearing beauty! LOL! Oh, and it took about 45 minutes for the sari to be draped properly. Part of the problem is I’m about a foot taller than the average sari wearer, and a good ten inches taller than any one of the three that helped me get dressed.

Once the sari was on, the bendi placed, and the bangles shoved onto my big ole American hands, it was off to work. From the time I walked out of my room, till the time I returned over 10 hours later, it was one compliment after another. A few of my favorites…

The two grandmotherly ladies in the lobby of the hotel gushing at how well I “carried” the sari and telling me I looked like a queen.

The guard at the gate at work who speaks VERY little English saying “Stunning” and smiling really big while I signed in. Side note, this was the first and only English word I have ever heard him say in the ten weeks I have been here.

One of my good female friends from work telling me she was jealous, she’s been trying her whole life and can’t pull off a sari as well as I did. And my all time favorite…

Our driver that picked us up after shift telling my co-worker that was already in the car “Wow, beautiful” as I was walking to the car and grinning like a school boy the whole way back to the hotel!

Needless to say, this was the best confidence builder I’ve ever had. I might just take up wearing a sari everyday! Oh wait, I don’t typically spend 45 minutes getting ready, shower and all….

With Love,

Eli
Countdown to Home: 28 days…

Devin's note: I'm not sure how I feel about these other little Indian people calling my wife 'stunning' and 'beautiful'. I mean, she is. But someone may get hurt here!

No comments:

Post a Comment